free games
free game downloads

Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Steve
Administrator

Did Watson stab Holmes?
Old Mr Holmes was found dead in his study by Mr Watson. Mr Watson provided a statement to the police, which read as follows:

"I was walking by Mr. Holme's house when I thought I would pop in for a visit. I noticed his study light was on and I decided to peek in from the outside to see if he was in there. There was frost on the window, so I had to wipe it away to see inside. That is when I saw his body laying on the floor. So I kicked in the front door and confirmed poor Mr Holmes was indeed dead from a stab wound in the back. I called the police immediately afterward."

The officer immediately arrested Mr Watson for the murder of Mr Holmes. How did he know Mr Watson was lying?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
arcadedweller
GM Wizard

I think that frost only forms on the inside of house windows if the heat is on inside.
arcadedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
xenocacia
Street Wise

i googled it (is that cheating?) and it appears that frost forms outside the window, although that opinion is not unanimous. i suppose for the purposes of this riddle, though, that should be a suitable answer.
xenocacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Steve
Administrator

You got it on one arcade, good detective work.

On a house frost and condensation will form on the inside of windows but on say a car (or an empty house that has zero heating) it will form on the outside, which it probably what you found when you googled xeno. This is caused by the difference in relative humidity and temperature. This is not such a problem today if you have double or even triple glazing but back in the Victorian times of Holmes and Watson single glazing was all you could get.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
buffyh22

Good puzzle Steve, but I have to say there is no way Dr.Watson would ever murder Sherlock Holmes in the books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Steve
Administrator

This was an old Mr Holmes so who knows what happened after the books finished, lol.